Duration: 4 Years
The Department of Music at the Prasanthi Nilayam Campus for Men offers full-time residential programmes in music in Carnatic (South Indian) system as well as Hindustani (North Indian) system in Vocal and Instrumental streams. The department offers four major disciplines.
Facilities: The Department of Music has facilities not just for imparting education in Music but is also equipped with computerized audio recording facility, a well-equipped library with a good number of books relating to Music as well as Sai spiritual literature. A huge digital music collection of great maestros with a latest multipurpose music system are available in the library for the benefit of the students. Musical instruments required for the purpose of classroom teaching and for practice sessions are provided.
Visiting Artistes: Artistes from various corners visit Prasanthi Nilayam as pilgrims. They are invited to visit the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, from time to time and give lecture demonstrations. Great maestros like Sri Umayalpuram Sivaraman (Mridangam Vidwan), Sri Komanduri Sheshadri (Violin Vidwan), Sri Hariharan (Ghazal Singer), Sri Naiveli Santana Gopalan (Carnatic Vocal Vidwan), Suresh Wadkar (North Indian Classical Singer), Smt Anuradha Krishnamurthy (Carnatic Vocal Vidwan), Padmashri Palanivel (Thavil Vidwan) and Prof. Yella Venkateswara Rao (Mridangam Vidwan) are some of the artists whose expertise richly benefits students, particularly during interactive sessions.
- 10+2 years of schooling (with music as one the subject) from a recognized board (CBSE or equivalent) or
10+2 years of schooling with Diploma in Music from a recognized board (CBSE or equivalent) or
10+2 years of schooling from a recognized board (CBSE or equivalent) with minimum two years of training from a reputed Guru*
- Either passed or appeared for Final exams at XII level before Admissions Test
- XII Standard: 50% or more (English) and 55% or more (Aggregate including English). If not appeared for XII Standard exams, X and XI Standard marks will be considered) In such cases: 50% or more (English) and 55% or more (Aggregate including English)
- Age: preferably below 19 years on 31 May in the year of admission. Age may be relaxed to 21 years depending on the merit of the case
* Candidates who have not studied Music as one of the subjects in X/XII qualifying examination must have studied Music for not less than two years in a recognized Institution or got training in Music for not less than two years from a well-known teacher/guru. Such candidates shall be required to submit a certificate issued by the teacher/institution.
Majors & Electives
The Department of Music offers four major disciplines. Students can opt one major and one elective. In the first two years both major and elective subjects are taught and in the third year only the chosen major subject is taught. Candidates will have to choose one major and one related elective subject from the below. The elective subjects offered will be based on the aptitude of the candidates
Major: Carnatic Vocal
Electives: Carnatic Instrumental Veena or Carnatic Instrumental Mridangam or Hindustani Vocal
Major: Carnatic Instrumental Mridangam
Electives: Carnatic Vocal or Carnatic Instrumental Veena or Carnatic Instrumental Tabla
Major: Hindustani Vocal
Electives: Hindustani Instrumental Tabla or Hindustani Instrumental Sitar or Carnatic Vocal
Major: Hindustani Instrumental Sitar
Electives: Hindustani Vocal or Hindustani Instrumental Tabla or Carnatic Instrumental Veena
Major: Hindustani Instrumental Tabla
Electives: Hindustani Vocal or Hindustani Instrumental Sitar or Carnatic Vocal