Doctoral Research Programmes
For Women and Men
Doctoral Research Programmes
Duration: 5 Years
The degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) at SSSIHL is currently available across nine of the University’s departments. The Ph.D. is intellectually demanding and students must have a high level of attainment and motivation to pursue this programme of advanced study and research. At this level of education, the entry requirements vary from department to department. Kindly see the Eligibility tab for detailed information.
The University provides excellent research facilities, including the SSSIHL Central Research Instruments Facility and SSSIHL Central Research Laboratory.
The research output at SSSIHL has seen a significant rise in the past few years. The number of doctoral research scholars has seen a tremendous increase in last four years. The five science departments, viz. Mathematics & Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biosciences and Food & Nutritional Sciences are increasingly pursuing research collaborations with premier external Institutions such as IISc., IITs, Bayer College of Medicine (USA), etc.
In addition, collaborative research projects with Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences (SSSIHMS) are a testimonial to the rise in the quality of research at the University.
In line with the vision of the Revered Founder Chancellor, all research at SSSIHL ultimately leads to societal benefit. Thus, the topics for doctoral research across all departments are chosen with great diligence. In the present day world, the need of the hour is to integrate expertise from different departments to transform it into translational research or directed basic research.
Interdisciplinary research is indispensable for academic innovation. It brings together different minds, across various disciplines, and encourages emerging areas to converge and together make an impact on any programme.
In order to foster this ambience for interdisciplinary research at the University, an Interdisciplinary Science Colloquium has been initiated (several years ago) to provide an opportunity for Doctoral Research Scholars and the Teaching Faculty —involving the departments of Physics, Chemistry, Biosciences and Food & Nutritional Sciences—to share their research experiences with fellow researchers. This has facilitated the promotion and consolidation of their knowledge base. Besides, it has also proved to be an effective optimal method of sharing available resources for research.
The University has taken giant strides in this direction of interdisciplinary research by collaborating with top-notch institutions, both within the country and abroad.
To find out more about applications to the Doctoral Research Programme, including detailed information on the departments that offer a Ph.D., areas of research, deadlines and how to apply, kindly download the SSSIHL Admissions Prospectus April 2023 – Doctoral Research Programmes
Admissions for the SSSIHL Doctoral Research Programme for April 2023 entry is now OPEN.
All applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to qualify for admissions to the Ph.D. programme and appear for the SSSIHL Admissions Test & Interview.
Age: All Ph.D. applicants should not be more than 29 years of age as on 31 Dec in the year of admission
Marital Status: The applicant should be unmarried
Compulsory Hostel stay: Selected candidates must reside in the hostel throughout their Ph.D. programme without exception
Academic Qualifications: Applicants must have completed a Master’s degree correlating to the Ph.D. programme they are applying for (final year students must have appeared for their final exams by the time of the admissions tests) with minimum 60% marks (aggregate) or equivalent grade from SSSIHL or any other recognized university in the following disciplines:
- Mathematics: Any one of the following degrees: M.Sc. Mathematics / M.Sc. Statistics / M.Sc. Operations Research/ M.Sc. Actuarial Sciences or PG equivalent in Actuarial Science as per UGC, M.Sc. Mathematics or Statistics or Data Science and Computer Science
- Computer Science: Any one of the following degrees: M.Sc. in Computer Science / M.Sc. in Information Technology / M.Sc. in Data Science and Computing / Master of Computer Applications / M.Sc. in Mathematics (with sufficient background in CS and programming) / M.Sc. Statistics (with programming skill) / M.Tech. in Computer Science / M.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering / M.Tech. in Information Technology / M.Tech. in any branch of Science and Engineering with sufficient background in Data Structures, Algorithms and Programming, M.Sc. Actuarial Science, M.Sc. Mathematics, M.Sc. Statistics, M.Sc. Data Science, M.Sc. data Science and Computing and/or PG equivalent in Actuarial Science as per UGC.
- Physics / Photonics / Nuclear Physics: Any one of the following degrees: M.Sc. in Physics / M.Sc. in Photonics / M.Sc. in Nuclear Physics
- Materials Science: Any one of the following degrees: M.Sc. in Physics / M.Sc. in Chemistry / M.Sc. in Photonics / M.Sc. in Materials Science / M.Sc. in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology / M.Tech. in Materials or Ceramic Engineering
- Chemistry: M.Sc. in any branch of Chemistry (Organic, Inorganic, Physical, Analytical and Biochemistry).
- Biosciences: Master’s degree in any branch of Biological Sciences
- Management & Commerce: M.B.A (with any specialization), M.Com., M.M.S.
- Economics: M.A. in Economics
- English Language & Literature: Master’s degree in English Language & Literature, ELT, Linguistics, Communicative English, and Media Studies
To find out more about applications to the Doctoral Research Programme, including detailed information on the departments that offer a Ph.D., areas of research, deadlines, and how to apply, kindly download the SSSIHL Admissions Prospectus April 2023 – Doctoral Research Programmes
The Ph.D. programme is open for the following departments at SSSIHL:
- English Language & Literature
- Management & Commerce
- Mathematics & Computer Science
Each department has a unique set of areas for both women and men applicants. kindly download the SSSIHL Admissions Prospectus April 2023 – Doctoral Research Programmes for full details on these, as well as research infrastructure, admissions test syllabi, etc.