The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, (DHSS), Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Prasanthi Nilayam organized a 5-day Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on “Academic Ethics, Scientific Writing, and Unit-Level Data” from October 25th – 29th, 2023. This FDP has been delivered in two significant segments that are of great relevance in the present social science research domain. In the first segment, participants were ably guided on topics like ethics in academic communication, scientific writing, and techniques of research publication followed by issues in secondary research. The participants were also acquainted with the elements of survey research.
In the second segment, the scholars discussed various large-scale survey datasets like NFHS, IHDS, and NSSO that are freely available on public platforms. The FDP specifically trained the researchers to handle large-scale complex health survey datasets (i.e., NFHS) for detailed analysis. It covered obtaining the publicly available NFHS dataset, managing the data, and conducting basic data analysis to draw useful insights. The widely used statistical software Stata was used for data management and data analysis. The FDP has guided participants in importing NFHS data to Stata, data management, data manipulation, and reshaping datasets, and introduced them to visit and regression analysis.
The FDP Resource Persons were:
- Abhishek Singh, Professor, International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai.
- Ashish Singh, Associate Professor, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, I.I.T. Bombay
- Kaushalendra Kumar, Assistant Professor, International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai
- Ajit Kumar Kannaujiya, Monitoring and Evaluation Lead, Karnataka Health Promotion Trust (KHPT), Bengaluru
- Debarshi Dey, Head of Bio-Statistics and Data Management, MorphoSys, Munich, Germany